June 27, 2012

My Week In The Himalayas

What a week I've had! It was my first time in the Himalayas, and now I know why 
people are addicted to them, and keep returning, year after year!

"They are mountains so stupendous that they can be overflown, but not tunneled; Climbed, but never tamed; Mapped, but seldom visited."

All I can say is-they took my breath away!

The tiny villages, the  mighty hurtling rivers, the changing terrains (from the alpine-looking pine forests to the vast, dry rugged rock-faces) the beautiful people, the tiny fluttering prayer flags amidst the wilderness..

Well, i'm saying too much..:) I ll let the pictures talk..





We started from Shimla, a city with a delightful colonial hangover. The churches, streets, buildings, are all built during the British Raj, and this mountain city used to be the summer capital of the empire!

 We journey into the interior, from Shimla, the roads turn narrower, and the ascent becomes steeper..



The river Satluj crashes along the gorge. The landscape is highly unstable, landslides are frequent...
 The road is just a tiny path along the rocky precipice, the people, mere pinpricks.



"The Himalayas demand superlatives - the highest mountains, the highest pass, the 
deepest gorge, the highest living animals-they confront us with 
phenomena that exist nowhere on earth."

The mighty peaks are given a God-like status by both the Hindu and the Buddhist cultures. They are awe-inspiring, insurmountable,  and both creators and destroyers...






I got to see the Buddhist Culture up close, and read a few books-It is wonderful!



The beautiful hotel room with a view of the Kinner Kailash Range.





The picture-perfect villages



With its beautiful people..


 Even though I am back to Mumbai now, it is with mixed feelings..I am too used to the peace and quiet..and dont feel like switching on my cellphone just yet!

Because my heart is still in the mountains, and as I open my bedroom window, I imagine the evening chill creep upon me,and hear the last strains of the Buddhist chants from the distant village...

I am definitely going back again!



Outfit post will be up soon!:)

Thanks for all your comments on my previous post<3

  Love,
Shubhi!

36 comments:

Pajama Diaries said...

i love the place! so many memories!

Elise and Margot said...

nice pics! Nice blog too, maybe we can follow each other?

x For Happy Days

Nastia said...

beautiful pics!!
thank you for lovely comment on my blog!

Ileana said...

Those places look amazing...totally god like!
Beautiful blog! Love it :)

Im now following u on bloglovin!

xoxo

novelstyle.blogspot.com

ThefashionFlite said...

Stunning pictures ! Love the snowcapped mountains !
Keep Smiling:D
✿thefashionflite
✿twitter
✿Bloglovin

Anonymous said...

amazing pictures x


http://ohsillyfashion.blogspot.com/

A Possible Fantasy said...

breathtaking pics!

do you want to follow each other (on bloglovin' and gfc)? let me know.
see you around!

www.apossiblefantasy.blogspot.com

Crazy for fashion said...

Beautiful pictures!Love them! <3<3

Andrea said...

Lovely place! It feels magical wasnt it? would you please consider following each other? www.shineonbyandrea.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

great blog :)

please visit and follow me:
www.lusciousstyle.blogspot.com

Janna said...

I would really like to go there, it's so beautiful! And I looove the pic with all the light, don't know how to describe it better. It's gorgeous! xx

J said...

All your photos are beautiful! I would love to go to the Himalayas.

xxLiora
lioraatsea.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

WOOOOW!!
Wonderful pictures!!! I will love to be there someday!

Shloka Khialani said...

These are such great photos! :) Great clicks!

Do check out my blog & follow if you like : ) :
A little More Love

& follow the Facebook page : ):
A little More Love Facebook Page

Kim said...

Wow!! This looks AMAZING!

www.kimgodschalk.com

Keit said...

You lucky girl!!!! :D

Kim said...

Of course we can follow each other. :-) I'm following you through GFC and Bloglovin' now, would be happy if you did the same. :-)

www.kimgodschalk.com

Auste said...

I love it!! All the places look just more than amazing!! I've visited Paris before a week, it was cool too,but not like that..it was more city life, but really amazing too:***
kiss,
http://stylishlifeby.blogspot.com/
A.

Margarida said...

Great blog! I'll follow you :) xx

Keit said...

I would love to follow you ^_^

Joanna said...

OMG, so beautiful pictures!

Would you like to follow each other?
I follow you now:)

Kisses:*

http://joannas-secret.blogspot.com/

A Possible Fantasy said...

thanks for stopping by, happy to follow you back!

blondebenedicte said...

thank you :)
i follow back you immediately ;)
btw nice pics! xxx :)

Borjana said...

WOW!WOW!Looove these pictures!I would really love to visit!;)
xx
B.
http://www.beeswonderland.com/

b260613 said...

that's a trip I would like to do! thanks for your comment on my blog :) I like your pictures and I am now following you!

x got

check out my new photos!
www.glutofthoughts.blogspot.com

www.glutofthoughts.blogspot.com

Sazi Efionayi said...

happy pictures,i like

http://www.sazistopsecret.blogspot.com/

J said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, we should follow each other. I followed you on gfc :)

xxLiora
lioraatsea.blogspot.com

Izzy said...

wow the place looks so breath-taking. the mountains look like they could make you feel so small- kind of scary but also an amazing feeling at the same time!


metallicpaws.blogspot.com

morganvsmorgan said...

It looks so beautiful! I really want to visit now!!

Pratishtha Durga said...

I grew up on North and every few years. our vacations would take us to the mountains. I remember very vividly the awe that I felt every time I came face to face with the Himalayas. So magnificent, ancient, overwhelming. I love all these pictures. Glad you had a wonderful trip. And I can totally relate to the feeling of coming back to Mumbai.

Lita said...

wow amazing pics! I'm following you!
xx

Unknown said...

great picture, i really lurv them.
http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

james said...

you have no idea how envious i am of you right now! these photos are seriously amazing!!

<3 james

Sandra said...

Great photos!

http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Your blog is very pretty!!
Check mine if you like.

http://justdailythings.blogspot.com

xx

Heather Cavanaugh said...

OOOO beautiful pictures! those mountains look so cool (literally cool I'm burning up in NYC!) lol

http://fashionistanygirl.blogspot.com/